Re: [Harp-L] History of the Harmonica in America

Yo Dave-

I just read your on-line article about harmonica history  -   EXCELLENT ! ! !

The first harmonica player I ever heard was my dad (Rod Ruth, 1912-1987).  He played popular music of the 1920s and 30s, and cowboy music, and folk songs like "On Top of Old Smokey and Oh Susannah."  He was strictly an amateur, and only got his harmonica out a couple of times per year.  He had a Bb Marine Band harmonica.

In the early 1960s there was a Folk Music boom in the USA (The Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, etc.) and radio station WFMT in Chicago had a folk music show (The Midnight Special).  Thats where I heard Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.  Once I heard Sonny Terry, I was hooked on harmonica.  I started playing harmonica in 1964.  For the first couple of years I only listened to Sonny Terry, but in 1966 I discovered the music of Jr. Wells, Little Walter, James Cotton, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Charlie Musselwhite and Paul Butterfield.  Soon after that I discovered Charlie McCoy.  Wow...  my life was transformed...