Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Anybody know what this weird thing is?

I didn't think it was an instrument at all either, but maybe a tool to bang 
 out a reed plate by hand?
Would need to see it close up. Is there an opening in the top for air or is 
 that top piece a 'handle'?
"Message: 4
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: David  Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Anybody  know what this weird thing is?
To: Harp L Harp L _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx) 

My guess was that it might have been a damper for a reed organ or  
something. It looks like something that would damp  reeds.


From:  Michael Easton <diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx 
Sent:  Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:23 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Anybody know what this  weird thing is?

Remember there other uses for plated free reeds  as instruments. It may not 
necessarily be a harmonica.

A clock restorer  sent some harmonica looking plates to me a little over a 
year ago to clean tune  and replace a reed. The plates were used in a
German clock. When the clock  struck at the top of the hour it would play a 
melody rather then chime. Had  something like that made it out of Germany 
ended up buried and rotting in  a battlefield for more then 100 years 
someone might wonder what it was  also.

Think outside a harmonica and you might have a better clue as to  what it 
is. It could be from some European folk instrument.

This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and MHonArc 2.6.8.