Re: [Harp-L] Approaching an unfamiliar PA

Robert Hale wrote:
<Your goal is to sound your best, without holding up the show. (Sell them
<drinks, ya know)

Allow me to adjust the goal slightly: in my opinion, the goal for any player in any jam situation should be to make the band sound better.  If you make the band sound better, all the other good things happen--the band loves your sound, you make a bunch of new friends you can play with again, etc., etc.

Sometimes making the band sound better means playing one note on the chorus every time it comes around.  Sometimes it means playing a lot more than that.  Whatever it means in a particular situation, if you focus attention on what the band is doing, and add something meaningful to that, it's hard to go far wrong.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick