[Harp-L] Approaching an unfamiliar PA

When you´re in a jam situation going through a vocal mic and just barely have the time to make some adjustments to a PA, the conventional wisdom, so I have thought, for harmonica players is to set full bass, no treble and mid to somewhere round 11 o´clock.
  However, I just read that this setting could actually cause a more shrill kind of sound than giving a bit of treble and backing down on the bass.
  As usual, I have no idea -- and not very much chance to experiment; I only know that one of the most horrible noises known to mankind under the general caption of "music" is a harmonica with insufficient equalization. It pains me to think that I may have unwittingly been a contributor to this kind of environmental hazard.

Anyone with thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Martin