Re: [Harp-L] Re: Repair problem mystery

On Apr 12, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Steve Baker wrote:

> Reed plate screws on Hohner diatonics are self-tapping,

With all due respect, they shouldn't be.

> so each thread was cut by its own screw.

Not a good idea...exCEPT for electronics assembly where the chance of removing screws are rare. And if done, usually done by a technician. Apparently it was felt that a consumer shouldn't work on their own diatonics. My Hering chromatics are all tapped for machine screws. Any screw can therefore be used in any hole. Yes, I do understand that chromatics cost more than diatonics..but I don't see a huge expenditure going to machine screws.

> Hohner recommends always replacing reed plate screws in the original position.

Of course.