RE: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

Honestly Michael, I get what you are saying. It is refreshing to see that you have "tuff skin" and that is truly a mark of someone who has been in the music biz for real. I respect that. I know that what you were demonstrating was possibilities for the future of the harmonica. I get it. However in real world application I know of only a few players who employ this concept with really good execution. Case in point is one of my all time favorite harp solos, Norton B in Bonnie R's version of Runaway. A clear application of "who cares what position, it just sounds really good". I have seen folks on this site boo hoo NB for slop style. I just like that particular cut.
As far as the "position" discussion, I NEVER talk about what position or mode or what harp I choose. I just try to find the right ax for achieving what feel I want to add. Many times I play a minor mode over the major etc and it works and sound great when in good taste and knowing music theory is essential as you have demonstrated.
I used to played with (sorry to drop names) Warren Haynes who really inspired me to learn about modes. Warren created modes by playing modal scales over other scales. Grammy Award winner Pianist Dick Tunney who I have worked with a LOT does the same. I sometimes tell him "let's get mixolydian" and he always says "I don't know what that is" and just start playing what he called black style. He is such a joker, I know he really knows what I am communicating. I never knew what position he or Warren were playing on their instrument and did not care but it came across as a mode being played against another mode.
To all who who are trying to determine position vs modes, positions pertain to the instrument, modes pertain to the music, IMHO.
And, I think you mis-quoted me as saying "always". And yes, I remember when I could not play very well and further more I do not consider myself as a great player but I HAVE done some stuff that I am very proud of.
Best regards,Buckwww.pancaketurnerblues.com  (our crappy little web site that never gets updated)I am on facebook too...I hate FB