Re: [Harp-L] Keys you need

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> For both country and blues you need a D harp.
> For both you could do well to have an F harp.
> For Chicago blues (and to play Orange Blossom Special) you should have a
> Bb harp (and an F harp).
> Winslow

Winslow's got it pegged right, from my experience.

I worked top-40 dance-club country 6 nights a week, didn't need an E harp
Played Blues nearly that often, and only wanted my Low octave E for 1P. the
rest of the tune was A harp in 2P E.

Over 20 years playing, I hear more tunes in more keys in both realms. My
earlier bands were often limited in keys, both blues and country. (Maybe
I'm working better bands now, too.-- snark) But I hear more country records
in more keys than 10-15 years ago.

Music industry evolving? or just my limited data collection? Hmmm...

(Vocalist range is still primary, but I wonder if sometimes they were
encouraged to lift it a half-step, making it a little more difficult for us
kids to play along with the radio!)

Robert Hale

See you at SPAH12

Learn Harmonica by Webcam