Quite a few participants on Harp-L give lessons via phone or skype; I have done very well with lessons over the phone -- don't be afraid of distance learning for this. Many teachers -- on this list and off -- have You-Tube videos. I suggest you watch a bunch, take your time, and then make a "best guess" as to whose playing style, teaching style, and personality seem like a good match for you.

Good luck! It's a fine adventure.

Elizabeth

On Sep 25, 2011, at 7:45 PM, chuck maguire wrote:

From: chuck maguire <ctm_v@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: September 25, 2011 5:56:46 PM EDT
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Gettiing back to harmonica

Why am I finding it so hard to solo and improvise? Even my fillers sound similiar too often.

<snip>

1. What is best way to be able to learn to improvise? There are no teachers where I am so would phone or skype lessons go much further than just CD/DVDs. The problem with DVD is you cannot ask questions.