[Harp-L] Re: Crossover - more than the comb

Paul wrote:
The Hohner Crossover gets consistent praise but I haven't picked one up yet. I'm wondering if this models improvements go beyond the nice comb. Is there a new reed profile? Although I can't quite tell from pictures it also looks like Hohner have eliminated the sharp seam at the front of the cover plates. More like the Suzukis or MS models. That's great if it's true.

Steve responds:
The Crossover has the same reed profiles as the other Hohner Classic models (Sp. 20, GM), but the fine tuning is closer to equal temperament than the rest of the Marine Band series. This still permits nice sounding chords but is better for single note playing. As you observed, the covers have been improved, not only by smoothing the corners and eliminating the sharp seam, but also by raising the arc of the cover at the front so that it's slightly higher on both top and bottom. This prevents the reed rattle which some stylists experienced on low draw reeds. Reed plate edges and corners have also been chamfered.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-blues-masterclass.com
www.harmonica-masters.de