Re:[Harp-L] reeds (Source for replacement reeds)

HOHNER:

If you have a Hohner harmonica, you can get individual reeds for SOME (not all) models
from the Hohner Service Dept. In the USA, contact Hohner USA at 800-446-6010, and
ask for the Service Department. I don't have the contact information for Germany. The
Hohner personnel have all been extremely helpful.

Specify that you want individual reeds, N-O-T reedplates. Because most of their requests
are for reed plates, the tech will assume that's what you want, so be very clear that you
want REEDS, N-o-T reed PLATES.

Make sure that you have the harmonica model, the key of the harmonica, the hole
number, the breath direction and the pitch of the reed(s) for each reed that you want.
The service tech will tell you if individual reeds are available or not for that model.

The current price is $2.00 per reed, with a $5.00 shipping/handling charge for the USA.
Shipping time is 5-7 business days.

I usually try to get an order of several reeds together before ordering. I also usually
order two of whichever reed I need, in order to have a spare. I figure that if I blew out
a reed once, I'll probably do it again. The same is true if I'm fixing someone else's harp.

N-O-T HOHNER:

If you have a different harmonica, replacement reed plates may be the only option. If
you have done a lot of work on your harmonica (gapping, enbossing, etc.), then buy
the replacement reed plates and take off the reed(s) you need for replacement. If you
don't do any personal adjustments on your harmonicas, just swap out the reed plates.
This is a much more expensive option, but sometimes it is all that's available.

My personal preference is to replace reeds with new reeds, if I can get them. If I can't
get them, I use old reed plates. In a pinch, I've swapped reeds between manufacturers.
I use a wider, longer reed and shave it down to fit. It's time consuming, but my time is
MY time, and probably less valuable than anyone else's time. Some day I hope to be
able to make my own replacement reeds... Dream on, crazy person!

Good luck!
Crazy Bob