Re: [Harp-L] Champ Feed Back Loop mod (RICK DAVIS)

You don'tsay which Champ you have?

On any champ the NFB loop is tapped from the second stage cathode of the 12A#7
tube. Find pin 8 by counting clockwise from the gap in the tube pins whilst
looking at the top of the tube socket, inside the chassis. Follow the wire from
pin 8 and it will run to a 1500 ohm resistor (brn/green/red).

On a 5F1 champ, the end of this resistor that connects to the 12AX7 will also
connect to a 22K resistor (red/red/orange - NFB dropper) that runs to the hot
speaker jack terminal. Remove the connection from this resistor to the speaker
jack, insulating the disconnected wire, but do not disturb the 2 wires (usually
yellow & black) that run from the output transformer to the speaker jack, if you
do you will kill the power tube & probably the OT in a few seconds!

On a BF/SF Champ procedure is much the same except that you will find the NFB
wire comes from the end of the 1500ohm resistor at 12AX7 pin 8 that is
FARTHEST from the tube socket. The 1500 ohm resistor will also be bypassed by a
25uf cap (you might want to experiment with having this cap in/out of the
circuit?) which is in parallel and there will be an additional 47ohm resistor
(yel/violet/blk) between 1500 and ground, from where the NFB loop is tapped. The
NFB dropper resistor in a tolex champ is 2.7Kohms (red/violet/red). Again,
remove the connection from this resistor to the speaker jack hot connection,
without disturbing the OT wires, & insulate.

Should you accidentally disconnect the 1500ohm resistor from the 12AX7 socket,
or from ground at the other end,
 the amp will cease to make sound, don't panic just check & reconnect if
necessary, no harm will be done.

Personally I prefer the loop connected. In a tolex champ I prefer the tweed
style loop with the 25uf bypass cap at 12AX7 pin 8 removed. Without the NFB loop
connected, you may also want to experiment with removing the 25uf bypass cap (up
the voltage rating of this cap to 50v minimum and dress it away from the hot
cathode resistor) at pin 8 of the 6V6 (a common arrangement in amps where no NFB
loop is installed - again do not disturb the connections of the 470ohm 6V6
cathode resistor, or it will turn off the tube). Talking of the 470ohm 6V6
cathode resistors, tolex champs are biased very hot, you could also try 680ohms
or 800ohms (at 5W rating) and see which you prefer?

One of the mods I think is most useful on a tolex champ is a reduction in the
value of the 15K middle resistor (brn/grn/orange) that is grounded from bass pot
LH tab (adding resistors in parallel will reduce the value - R1xR2 then divide
by R1+R2 for the new value)...most Fenders with a fixed middle value use 6.8K
here, you might want to try 10K, or even bypass the 15K with bare wire for no
middle at all?

All these mods are easily reversible and the "right" ones are simply the ones
you like the sound of best. Do them one at a time so you hear what each one does
& determine which you like. Make sure the amp is fully serviced and functioning
properly before modding.

As ever, when working on tube amps, drain the flter caps (I use a jumper wire
from 12AX7 pin 1 or 6 to chassis ground, drains voltage in 30 seconds via power
supply resistors, keep in place during any soldering/modding & remove before
powering up) & never work on an amp that is connected to wall AC even if the
amp is turned off, as you will still get a jolt from the AC cord & fuse
assembly.