Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jerry Portnoy and Lee Sankey

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:45 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Totally agree, John. Music is a complete auditory experience - for me,
> anyway, since I could play by ear at age 4.  I often play both chromatic  and
> keyboards with my eyes closed.
>
> Someone like Stevie Wonder is the easiest example..how could it  possibly
> be a 'visual' model for someone like him? Anyone without sight can  still be
> a brilliant musician despite no frame of visual reference. I personally
> loved Jerry's introductory explanation (hadn't known much about him  before)
> and plan to pay real attention to his methods when I study  diatonic
> Blues...felt very comfortable with his approach. My take is  that despite the strong
> pressure from many chromatic  people who contend 'it's all about reading', I
> now have good  commonsense backup to my own lifelong belief that the best
> sounds of all music  is 'in the ear'. Nice to hear that there are others who
> feel somewhat  similarly.
>
> Elizabeth (the first)<G>
>
> Come to the Garden State Harmonica Festival!
> November 3 - 6, 2011
> _www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org_
> (http://www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org)

This goes along with what you once told me: "People read, but they don't see". Which was in reference to people reading what you write but don't understand what you're saying. Also: "People listen but they don't hear". Which was in reference to people being technically good players but not having much to say.

smo-joe