Subject: [Harp-L] recording non traditional harmonica

Hi Jim:

I'm going to suggest trying something entirely different from  what is
usually suggested here, but for non-traditional harmonica, why not a
non-traditional approach? Try playing in unison with the singer (the same  notes),
only at a lesser volume (softer) and backing her voice...or even  harmonizing
(dueting) with her with the harp? I believe you also play  chromatics(?)
which can work well on the low to middle range for some good  vocalists.

It's worth a shot and you just may be pleasantly surprised by the  results.
If it doesn't work you've lost nothing by the experiment.

Elizabeth

"Message: 12
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:53:12 -0400
From:  jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx
To: _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx)

I'm writing songs with a young lady who can really sing. Therefore,  the
emphasis is always on the vocals. I'm using different World beats for  the
framework and besides drums, essentially the only other instruments  are
electric piano and bass. I have struggled with the harmonica parts, but
I've
now recorded some bembe harmonica (in 5th position no less), and  some
dancehall harmonica. What seems to work for me are simple riffs, with  no
effects (the effects seem to move the harmonica into the background, if
that
makes sense) and set up either a brief solo, or an intro for the  harp--not
playing while anyone is singing. So far I've recorded two psuedo  horn
sections, doubling the harp with a sax synthesizer. I tried overdubbing  the
harp part and playing the same riff one hole higher, but I'm not sure I
like
it. It's too much like playing chords on the harp, and that doesn't seem  to
work.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
"Poets have been mysteriously silent  on the subject of  cheese."