Re: [Harp-L] country tuning songs -- Melody Maker

I guess it depends on the songs. I retuned a harp to melody maker some years back, but never used it much and just blue-tacked the 3-blow back to its original tuning. It's nice to have the juicy bends on the 3-hole draw. I play a few Hank Williams tunes with a friend and it's nice for that.

That same friend is a celtic musician who has taught me some of that repertoire. (Yes, Celtic and Hank go together. He also occasionally performs with belly dancers -- bodhran and baladi !) On some celtic songs I use a Paddy-Richter harp in D. And there, as is well-known, the raised three-draw makes a difference.

So there are genre-specific reasons for one tuning over another (and Sr. Leone can say much more about CT/smokey-joe tuned harps than I can, like for jazz standards), but there's also a matter (seems to me) of what floats your boat.

John