From: amaccana@xxxxxxxxxx
To: joelandersson_91@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Irish Reels and the Octave Harp
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:05:56 +0100

Anyone who has joined into an Irish Trad session will know that a harmonica finds it hard to be heard against the competition of the usual fiddles, banjos and button accordeons. Mind you this can be a blessing at times. Often the only way you can even hear yourself is by putting a finger over one ear.
However anyone arrogant enough to bring along a harp amp to a session is likely to find himself being ostracised.
In Trad circles this just is not done.
You mentioned Rick Epping’s tuning arrangement for Irish tunes, but one of his cool designs is an octave tuned “Boss Harp” which I christened “The Bunker Buster” He has a brace of these which he has totally custom made with Hohner Chromatic combs and covers. When he lets go with one of these at a session, he is not going to go unheard.
Beannachtaí
Aongus Mac Cana