[Harp-L] Re: Irish Reels - Harmonica

joelandersson_91@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Here is a new clip with some Irish Reels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hjHWabvaho
>
> The tunes are: Drag her around the roads, Musical priest, Corner house, Congress Reel

That's some killer stuff. Playing this medley is obviously physically demanding, given the tempos and the unrelenting lines, and your tone and rhythms are strong throughout--brilliant, in fact, given the intricacy of some of those rhythms. I love the way you work different intervals and chords in--there's a lot of color in these pieces. The octave harp sounds especially big and cool. I like the key changes too.

Overall a very satisfying solo performance, undoubtedly a crowd pleaser, and for good reason.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick

Thanks man! When you now your breathing and tone, then (atleast me) you can play forever.
The octave harp has a really nice tuning by Rick Epping. holes 123456 blow you have GBDGBD and on the draw you have ACEACE, and the 78910 are the same as a normal. So the only retuning needed for this is to lower the 2 draw from a D to a C and the 3 draw from a F# to an E. That gives you a G major chord on the 123456 blow and an A minor chord on 123456 draw. Wich is very suitable for minor Irish tunes. So far I have only made one of these octave minor harps yet but there will be more coming soon!

Regards / Joel Andersson
Sweden
www.youtube.com/joelandersson1