Re: [Harp-L] Re: Gussow in Princeton Alumni Weekly

http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/board/board_topic/5560960/553397.htm?page=1

That comment was made by one person...and most the heated part of the debate
began with the original poster starting a thread that encouraged an intense
exchange, in a thread with the subtitle, "Overblows Suck":

"I don’t hear any overblows in Little Walter’s Juke or in Big Walter’s
Boogie. A harp customizer who we all know insists that harps were better
back in the day, so one can presume that these players were not limited by
their instruments. It seems logical to me that Little Walter MUST have
discovered overblows exactly as I did: By accident. He evidently didn’t see
much value in overblows because he did not include them in his repertoire. I
can’t hear overblows in any of Little Walter’s body of work."

The crap comment was in reply to the initial post:

"despite what allot of people think the goal in playing harp is not to sound
like little walter. it think if little walter heard some one like jason play
he would crap in his pants. now dont get me wrong im a very very big little
walter fan. but times change. thats why this is called MODERN blues
harmonica."

It could be inferred from the tone of this post and the others around it
that the "crap" comment was directed at how LW wouldn't believe what people
were doing with the harmonica compared to his era.

The very same Adam Gussow posted several times in this thread with very well
articulated opinions that complimented both the traditional and modern
aspects of blues harmonica (mind you on a forum whose very purpose is to
create dialogue about MODERN blues harmonica), to which the OP was even in
support of.

I only point this out for two reasons.

1.  To illustrate how easy it is to intentionally/unintentionally take
something out of context or read into it, and create a spin.
2.  Sharing a reaction to a conversation without the whole back story can be
misleading.

Adam had actually gone on record sometime ago to clarify and amend his past
comments on Rick E., specifically, but his stance on traditional blues.
That information is out there, and he restates that and his relationship
with Rick in his previously posted "apology".

I've been misquoted enough to not trust anything in print.  In fact, just
this week, my brother called me about working with a polygraph expert who
had been on the show MonsterQuest and how when he asked about the
experience, he complained about being mislead, lead into making statements,
and how editing told a different story than he had shared.  I also had an
employee just get misquoted in the paper...not only was the statement
inaccurate, it was totally in bad taste to print what was said...even if it
was legit...which it wasn't.

EVERYONE has an agenda.  I can't think of anyone who doesn't...whether that
is right or wrong.
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com