Re: [Harp-L] Help understanding a section of Winslows book

Dan,
On a C harp, the basic harp without bends is:

C  E   G   C   E   G   C   E   G   C blow
1  2    3    4   5    6    7    8   9   10
D  G   B   D   F   A    B   D   F   A draw

Notice on holes one through six, the blow notes are lower than the
draw notes.  On seven through ten, the draw notes are lower than the
blow notes.

Now let's try to play C then D.  On hole number one, it is blow draw.
 On hole number 4 it is blow draw.  On hole 7 it is blow, move to the
right to hole 8, then draw.  That is what Winslow is talking about.

Because on holes seven through ten, the draw notes are lower than the
blow notes and C is lower than D, you cannot place C in hole 7 and
draw to get D, because D is higher than C.

Why are the low high patterns set up this way?  I am guessing because
the blow notes have a repeating pattern of C E G, the notes that make
up a C major chord.  By having this repeating pattern, 4 blow and 7
blow have to be C.

The do re mi fa so la ti do scale starts and ends with the same note,
do, or in this case Do is the C note.  There are eight notes from do
to do in that scale.

Each harp hole, without bending, has the potential to play two notes,
the blow note and the draw note.

There are 4 holes from holes 4 to 7, hole 4, 5, 6 and 7.  Each hole
can have two notes.  2 notes multiplied by 4 holes is 8 notes which is
the same amount of notes in a C major scale.

But, to keep the C E G repeating pattern you have to place C in 4 blow
and in 7 blow.  Therefore, to fit the entire 8 note  scale in those
four holes, you have to reverse the ascending breath pattern to draw
blow on seven blow.

I have a Youtube series that explains it.  Here is the first video
concerning the C harp layout, but you may consider starting with video
number 1, because the information builds upon itself.
http://youtu.be/Y8X2lW4LHeA

In terms of having trouble making the high notes sound nice, you are
in good company.  I have many beginners who have similar trouble.  You
say the C harp is where the troubles begin.  Why not work on a harp
one half step lower, a B harp.  When you really feel control on that
harp, move to the C harp.

Also, you may consider U blocking.  I find it solves all high note
issues.  Place the tip on your tongue underneath the hole you want to
play, on the bottom cover plate of the harp.  If you want, curl the
harp like a U, blocking out the surrounding holes.  That part is
unnecesary in my opinion.

Also, you may have heard the deeper the harp is in your mouth, the
bigger the tone.  Try the opposite on the high notes.  Use a canary
kiss.

Hope that helps.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com