From: "Slim Heilpern" <slim@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tom Ball" <havaball@xxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:55:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Eivets Rednow Question

Hi Tom -

Many have asked this question. Stevie has done this a lot through the years. I believe it involves clicking the tongue in such a way that it causes the draw reed to sound (but since I've never been able to master it, I don't really know). It's very difficult for most mortals to match, at least in terms of volume and clarity, but it is _not_ studio trickery -- there are audio clips from old live concerts where he does it, and I'm pretty sure he does it in that great youtube clip of him doing the tune live with Burt Bacharach on TV.

- Slim