Subject: [Harp-L] Views on Blues

Sorry, Thomas - very much disagree. We can read his explanation  straight
without re-interpreting.

As well, any of those three gentlemen have played longer than three of  the
younger players have been alive, so it's a bad analogy. We surely  don't
need to keep comparing venerated performers with younger players in a
negative way. Adam didn't despite several attempts to make it appear so.

Here's a direct quote(snipped out from the rest of his explanation -  he's
given permission on his forum to be quoted here on harp-l):

AG: "I said as much of this as I could to the journalist in question, but
he mangled it. When I said **"cathected," he wrote "confected." He grouped
Kim  in with Rod and Rick as somebody who, I implied, has "costumed" the
music. (I  never said a word about how Kim dresses.) "It has been costumed [and]
profoundly  confected onto that old-time stuff like it's the only way to
go," I'm quoted as  saying. "They resist modernization."

"As firebreathing as I can be, I  choose my words carefully. In the
paragraph in question--and I've quoted only  part of it--I was quoted about 75%
correctly. It's the 25% extent to which my  words were mangled, reshuffled, and
selectively quoted that pains me. More than  once I interruped my modernist
effusions to say, "Look, I love what those guys  do. I STUDIED those guys."
The journalist didn't quote that stuff.'

*****

**"Cathected" is a word I sometimes use when I'm talking about the blues.
It's Freud's word. "Cathected onto" means "attached themselves to," in
psychological terms. It's another way of saying, "I'm one of them."

************

EGS: As someone who also chooses my words carefully and am continuously
misinterpreted by some here, I'd suggest that perhaps some of those who became
 so enraged by what they thought Adam Gussow said should reread (or  check
out fjm's link to the MBH site as I just did),

http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/board/board_topic/5560960/2099567.htm

...and then perhaps watch a few of Adam's free teaching videos during which
 he imparts his feelings about everything to do with Blues and some of
those very  players far better than any journalist 'interpreting' what he meant.
He  just wrote it again (above): 'I LOVE what those guys do'.

Here he is in Klingenthal (Germany) talking about Little Walter and  Juke:

_http://www.youtube.com/user/KudzuRunner#p/u/131/hUJPl-vzysY_
(http://www.youtube.com/user/KudzuRunner#p/u/131/hUJPl-vzysY)

Pretty definitive.

and then there's this:

_http://www.youtube.com/user/KudzuRunner?feature=grec_
(http://www.youtube.com/user/KudzuRunner?feature=grec)

This is someone who's long given back to the Blues harmonica world and
clearly shows his love for it and it's discomfiting to see him being  attacked
and dissected here.

I don't belong to his forum, don't know the man very well at all in fact,
but do know some of the Company he keeps and have checked into his  forum
periodically to read the posts when I'm in the mood. Any statement  he's made
there has usually been democratic and fair. I've noticed  he's also quick to
admit fault.

An earlier post by someone here claiming that the Dirty South forum is
'rife with many characters who show sneering disrespect for players such as
Little Walter' is inexplicable (see the above Klingenthal video) since I've
long known that AG appoints monitors who are very quick to call a  halt to
threads which threaten to go astray, even to removing hateful posts
(something I appreciate on any public forum).

He doesn't monitor the site on a day to day basis from my understanding -
they do, but does reserve the final say for himself, stepping in when
necessary to toss people who violate his rules of civility.  From my scant
observation, it's all done quite openly. Assigning  him the blame for comments
made by others is highly unfair and seems  personal. Could it be that those who
came here to attack him knew they  couldn't get away with it on his site?

As long as I've known anything at all about AG I've never once gotten  the
impressions conveyed by this 'journalist'. My first thought was that he
must have misunderstood and misquoted him and I personally wanted to verify
whether or not Adam actually did make those statements before reacting  since
I rarely believe everything I read without verification.  'Back-peddling' is
clearly not what Adam Gussow is doing now, rather is  making sure to
explain what he did say originally. If you weren't present during  the interview
you can't possibly know.

Elizabeth

"Message: 13