[Harp-L] Re: Michael Polesky

I first met Michael Polesky at a SPAH convention where he had organized a
group social hour for harp-L subscribers.  I believe it was my second SPAH
at Denver in 2001, and in those days only a small fraction of SPAH attendees
were on harp-L.  So it was great to meet and put faces to names and
opinions.  Michael greeted me like a long lost friend and made me feel like
the most important person at SPAH, although I was only an occasional poster
and not much of a player.  I was to realize later that Michael had a great
gift of making even passing acquaintances feel very special.

At SPAH 2003 in Denver, we renewed our acquaintance and we found a common
liking of Belgian beer.  One of my great regrets at Dallas was not taking
him up on his offer to do a chromatic-diatonic duo with him at a special
open mic for such combos.  I wasn't much of a player then, and didn't want
to drag him down.  I didn't realize it at the time, but that would have
meant nothing to Michael ... he was just all about getting people involved
and connected, including bridging the chromatic-diatonic gulf.  I'm sorry I
passed on that opportunity.

Each SPAH was a special opportunity to connect with Michael again.  One of
my everlasting memories was at a recent SPAH (which one escapes me) where I
was fortunate to sit with Michael and Bobbie G at the Saturday dinner.  It
was there that, during a performance by an elegant and proper classical
European chromatic player, the performer turned to blow his nose, not
realizing the stage was miked so well that an enormous honk went out over
the PA.  After a few seconds of stunned silence, Michael broke out in
applause - which brought down the house and left me with tears streaming
down my face for the rest of the night.  Unforgettable.

Thanks for all the laughs, Michael.  I sure will miss you, but will remember
all the great times with gratitude.

Fred S