Subject: [Harp-L] "silent harmonica" and sound transmission

Agree, Aongus. My earlier mention of fabric over batting was  based on
personal experience in my own home.  Years ago when it was a bit  of a
do-it-yourself design idea, I attached thick batting, furring  strips and fabric to
'upholster' my family room wall (for purely esthetic  reasons) which happened
to back onto the master bedroom. Didn't touch the  ceiling or any
windows/sliding glass doors in either room. My sound system was  set up in that
family room as well with speakers pointed towards the  upholstered wall.
Previously the room had only cheap paneling nailed  onto the joists (a builder
'special'). My simple change (I stapled the  facing fabric in place over the
batting and attached painted furring strips  every couple of feet to cover the
staples) made a huge difference in  cutting down almost all sound
transmission through the wall - an unexpected  bonus. I was still then able to drill
into the furring strips to hang  artwork since I'd lined most of them up with
the 2x4's.

Worked for me :)

As to playing a harmonica in a Hotel room - I've done that so often at SPAH
 or other conventions, but also for vacation, and cannot imagine having
someone bang on the adjoining wall especially if it's during the day - or
prior  to 10 or 11p.m. During daylight hours you'd be as entitled to play your
harmonica in your room as you would a radio or TV, I would think?

Elizabeth

"Message: 11