[Harp-L] "silent harmonica" and sound transmission

The people who say you need mass to avoid sound transmission are technically
correct, but from personal experience  I can vouch for the fact that
reducing reverberation can help to reduce nuisance.

Some years ago I was involved in an industrial project which had a motor
generator set in a plant room, which aroused considerable complaints from
neighbours due to the fact that the noise from it was perceptible at night
when the ambient noise level was low and they were trying to go asleep.

Lining the walls of the plant room with  fibreglass blanket reduced the
reverberation in the enclosure and also reduced the nuisance outside to the
extent that the complaints ceased.

When I bought a Chromonica in Germany a few  years ago, I unadvisedly tried
it  out in my hotel bedroom. I got an immediate heavy pounding on the
bedroom wall. Germans  take the question of nuisance seriously.

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana