[Harp-L] Circle of Fifths or Circle of Fourths?

Buck asked if Michael would consider using the Circle of Fourths rather than
the Circle of Fifths for determining which harp key to pick in order to play a
specific key.

The accepted "standard" at present is to use the harp key as a reference and
then pick a position which provides the desired music key. Each "position" has
a corresponding mode associated with it.

1st position = Ionian mode = Major scale
2nd position = Mixolydian mode = Major scale
3rd position = Dorian mode = Minor scale
4th position = Aeolian mode = Natural minor scale
5th position = Phrygian mode = Minor scale
6th position = Locrian mode = Diminished scale
12th position = Lydian mode = Major scale

Although it is possible to use the Circle of Fourths to determine the relationship
between the key letter of the music, it does not seem as intuitive (to me) as
using the Circle of Fifths.

Why not?

Because when starting with the key of music as the reference point, there is
no determination of mode. For example, if the band says "This song is in D major,"
which harp do you use? You could use any harp that would give you most (if not
all) of the notes of D major, i.e., a D harp (some people's first choice), a G harp
(if playing OTM) or an A harp (just because you can do it). Now you have to figure
out where the tonic and associated notes are going to lie on the chosen harp. So,
there appears to be just as much (if not more) work using the Circle of Fourths as
there is in using the Circle of Fifths. The only complication occurs when trying to
communicate with other harmonica players who learned the "standard" designations.
I don't have a copy of it, but one of the first instructional harmonica books (by Tony
"Little Sun" Glover) based positions on the Circle of Fourths. Those who learned this
way had a heck of a time communicating with later harp players like me.

There is an alternative to memorizing all this stuff. Make yourself a Circle of Fifths tool.
(Or, if you choose, a Circle of Fourths tool.) I made myself a tool which includes all
positions, modes, chords and notes. It consists of two wheels, with reference points
marked.

You simply place the major reference mark on the harp key, and then read the rest
of the information relative to that harp key. It's printed on heavy card stock, and held
together with an eyelet. It's flat enough to stick in my harp case. I just pop it out and
reference it if needed. It's fast to figure out whatever you need on the fly. And best
of all, it's available FREE from me. Several people have used it.

If you want a PDF file that's ready to print, send me an email message and request it.
All I ask is that you don't duplicate it for sale. You can use it, abuse it, use it for your
students, or whatever you want to do as long as you give me credit for making it.

If you want the file, my email is robertpcoble AT hotmail PERIOD com. (Replace the
"AT" with the "@" symbol, and the "PERIOD" with a ".". Put "Circle of Fifths Tool" in
the subject line.

Regards,
Crazy Bob