[Harp-L] Re: Manji

Good to hear most players are liking the Manji. Here's some feedback on a
couple of issues raised:

COVERS
Kevin Hamiliton wrote: " Nice harp but the back of it has no support and
caves in surprisingly easy.
Easier than any other harp I've ever bought in fact. Ya think with 60+
years in the business the harp that Mr Suzuki makes with that collective
knowledge fails on the cover plate front. Sounds great and overblows nicely
for out of the box though."

Good news! Suzuki has made the covers stiffer and new models from the
factory are rolling out with them. There will be some overlap as old stock
is sold, but eventually all Manji harps sold will have the new covers. They
look the same but are less easy to crush.

FLUSH REEDPLATES
Players have different tastes in how they like the front of the harp to
feel. On the stock Manjis the comb is slightly recessed, which suits many.
However like a couple of the posters here I prefer the comb flush with the
reedplates. Here's how to achieve that on your Manjis.

All comb reedscrew holes except the one in the front middle allow enough
movement to slide the reedplates back till the comb is flush. So if you want
that feel, there are two options:

1. Assemble and adjust to suit without the middle front reedplate screw. The
covers are curved to put pressure on the front of the reedplate so the harp
will still be airtight without this screw.

2. If you want to keep the screw in place, do what I do: grind or file the
middle front comb hole towards the rear by 1mm or so. I put in a 2mm drill
bit in my upright drill press, start the machine, put the spinning bit right
through the hole and press from the rear of the comb so the bit chews its
way backwards a bit. It only takes a few seconds. Clean the surfaces and
then reassemble with all reedplate screws. The enlarged front comb hole will
now allow the movement necessary for the reedplates to fit flush with the
front of the comb.

TUNING
Early Manjis had equal tempered tuning, good for playing in different keys
but with rough chords in the bottom end. In response to many players'
requests Suzuki have adjusted their tuning to Compromised, which gives nice
rich bottom end chords as well as ability to sound good in different
positions. As with the covers, you'll still find old stock with the tempered
tuning but within a year or so that should have cleared. The popular keys
will clear quicker than the less used ones.

Hope these comments help! Regards,

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic