They are generally stereoscopic. An actual microscope may be overkill.

There are plenty of scientific companies on ebay that sell good used lab equipment. That's where I purchased the Mantis.
Couldn't afford the $3.5k price for a new one.

On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:22 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 16:37:50 -0500
From: Robert Coble <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Maintenance/Repair: What magnification device to
	use?
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I work on harps. I'm looking for information on USEFUL magnification,
i.e., microscope or USB digital camera. What level(s) of magnification are
sufficient? 40X? 100X/ 400X? 1000X? I don't want to get some "cheapo"
(under $100) device, plug it in and find out that it's useless. The focusing
capability has to be variable and fairly precise. I'd also like the capability to
capture detailed images to computer.

Does anyone have a recommended device?

Kinya Pollard, The Harpsmith, (Mel Bay's Harmonica Sessions) uses a
ProScope, but I don't know the model number or which magnification
lense(s) he uses. If I could find a contact for him, I'd ask him directly.

TIA for any helpful suggestions!
Crazy Bob

Michael Easton
www.harmonicarepair.com