[Harp-L] Sugar Blue on alternate tunings

Here's an excerpt from the Sugar Blue interview I was referring to and which was the subject of recent comment by Mr. Hunter:

Steve:Do you use any specially tuned harmonicas?

Sugar:No, man I don't cop out.That is equipment for cop-out artists.I can't stand that crap!If you wnat to play something that is not on the harp, and you don't have it in your head and in your chops, it seems like everyone wants to take the "easy" or lazy way out these days.These special tunings keep people from really studing to come up with something new.Special tunings are nothing but garbage!It is like music made easy have you ever read that sci-fi story "Marching Morons"?They give everyone a scalpel that was special made and they instantly became a great physician!I have messed around with them and they are cute, but why mess around with something that has been right since Adam and Eve.Leave them alone!I am an old head man.If you want to do new things, you have got to dig deeper into the faith the more research listening and playing that you do about yesterday, the more you are going to find out about tomorrow.

Here's the link for the entire interview (which was conduced in 1994 when SB may have been lost in space): http://bluzharp.tripod.com/ sugar.html

Not saying that I necessarily agree with him, but when SB talks about harp, i generally listen pretty closely. I am a really big SB fan. If you want to know why, check out the MP3 album called "Another Man Done Gone" available on Amazon. It's a compilation of all the cuts from his long out of print first two albums released in France on the Blue Silver label. Incredible stuff!

JP