RE: [Harp-L] Ska Harp with Horns

Thanks Ryan;
                      Yes, I'm familiar with the Ska/Rocksteady harmonica thing, and I have owned a copy of 'Club 67 Ska' for many years. I love Roy's 'Contact'. His rhythmic phrasing is wonderful.
I've not heard anything to compare with it, I must say, though. I like the general effect of the simple tremolo harp with the horns;sound I bit like steel drums with all those overtones.
                      I play in a band where we do some old jazz  standards like 'I'm in the mood for love' and 'Secret Love' with a Ska feel, and I use the chromatic, trying to capture that sound.
Cheers,
RD

>>> Ryan Hartt <rhartt1234@xxxxxxxxxxx> 24/05/2011 22:15 >>>

Harp is fairly common in Ska and Rocksteady.
We had a thread about it a few years ago.
Here's the "Juke" of Ska harmonica: Roy Richards "Contact"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-PdIyV0LTg
and two by Charlie Organaire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7_R9mtNog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4sHOepCts