[Harp-L] Web lesson with Robert Hale

Just had a fantastic lesson with Robert Hale!

Before our lesson, Robert asked what topics I'd like to study. I mentioned 3rd position playing and vibrato. He emailed a GREAT set of 3rd position exercises for pre-lesson study.

Favorite part of the lesson was when he would play a 3rd position lick for me to play back to him. This was great ear training, as well as a lot of fun.

We talked about getting a better tone with the high notes on the harp, worked on throat vibrato, bending, hand cupping and a host of other topics.

Some topics I hadn't previously considered that he brought up were spiral tuning, compression, acoustic coupling and the turbo slide harmonica.

In addition to all this, he talked about 5th position as an alternative to 3rd position for certain songs, and he is sending a set of exercises based on that, along with other notes from our lesson.

I have taken thousands of guitar lessons in the last 25 years, and taught tens of thousands. This was the first time I've ever taken a formal harmonica lesson.

Robert is a great teacher, and we are  lucky that he is offering these lessons online. Check him out at www.dukeofwail.com

Thanks Robert!