[Harp-L] Comb Design

Let me start by saying my opinion of the comb tone debate is that the comb
material effects the vibrations that the player experiences and has the most
effect on how the sound feels to the player. I tend to prefer to play more
solid combs. So that leads to my question,

Why do manufacturers make plastic combs with hollow sections. Is it for some
perceived tonal effect, to reduce weight or is it to save money on plastic
material?

Since I seem (have not yet done a double blind) to like the vibration of
solid wood and aluminum combs, I wounder if a solid plastic comb would be
more pleasing to me than the standard "thinline" plastic combs.

Any thoughts? Any real knowledge of manufacturers motives?

Thanks,

Derwood