Re: [Harp-L] Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

Hi Richard

> <I like to use what little theory actually exists in jazz to shine a light
> <under the hood while the car is in the garage.
>
> First, I don't really understand what the 2nd sentence means.

Just rolling with the car driving analogy. I don't like to think of theory
while in an improvisational setting (on the "road") but away from those
settings (in the "garage") I often think about tonal relationships (look
under the "hood").

> Second, your ears are connected to your brain, and your brain dictates
> what you play, no matter how good your ears are.

Can't argue with that. But thinking about theory while in those
improvisational settings introduces a layer of cognitive activity that
many of us would argue is not neccessary (at that time) and potentially
detrimental to one's ability to improvise well.

Cheers!