[Harp-L] Re: Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

Since I'm on the digest-list, please forgive me if PT has already chipped in:

I am very interested to hear PT Gazell adress this topic, here is the reason why:

When I hear someone playing jazz or any type of tune with a more complex chord structure than say blues or old-time, there is usually a point in most players solos where it sounds like they are just playing the changes. In other words, playing part of a scale or a arpeggio just because it's obvious that it fits with the changes.

It works fine, but can sound melodically less interesting, makes me lose interest.

I never hear that in the jazz playing of PT Gazell, he always improvises very melodically, very much playing "what the music needs", which is more to me than just playing what fits. Sounds a little bit like listening to Lester Young to me.

I could be wrong, have been before...

PT, comment?

/ Mikael Backman