[Harp-L] Re: Reed Measurements (Request For Information)

As an alternative to stamping out reeds, you might consider rolling, a
method used by 19th Century manufacturers prior to the introduction of
stamping.  Brass wire was rolled down to the thickness and width of the
rivet pad, then the sides of the reed tongue were cut to the desired width,
I would guess by using a nibbler. One advantage to this method is that the
reed is subjected to less stress and possible strain than it is through
stamping.   The cost of tooling up for rolling would also likely be far less
than that for stamping.  I have studied and played harmonicas with these
reeds, particularly by the Viennese maker Thie, and found them to be equal
or superior to most modern instruments.

Rick

Message: 3