[Harp-L] Microphone question

 Hi all, I have a question about a mic again. I got a low end low cost
mic at Radio Shack to hopefully use at my computer and through my amp. I
made a couple of test recordings at the computer, but I had to be within
4-6 inches for it to pickup. The specs read, frequency
response100-12,000hz,  impedance: 250 ohms +or- 30%, sensitivity:
-74db+or-3db. Is it because of these specs that I have to get so close?
It has a 1/4" jack plug, do I need to get a low impedance transformer to
put on it? The recording I made had very descent sound it was just a very
low recording, volume wise. Even with the mike volume set all the way up.
Thanks for any help you can give, I can still return it within 30 days.
Duane