[Harp-L] no line out on amp-monitor solution

"The situation I am looking to solve is I have a jam I'd like to play at, but they play rock and the 3 or so guitars seem to all vie to see who can be the loudest. I've seen some harp players go up and be inaudible. I've come to the conclusion I will need to take my biggest amp, but I'm not sure I will be able to hear myself play, and if I get in front of my big amp, it's feedback city."

Practical solution: Use harp friendly XLR mic, bring a sufficiently long XLR cable and PLAY THROUGH THE PA. For rock, you should be able to get a very acceptable tone, especially if you use a mic with proximity effect and know how to overdrive the mic element with cupping technique. Frankly, getting a decent blues tone is very doable through the PA, so for a loud rock gig, why not use the PA? After all, it's the loudest amp in the room and you probably will have a monitor.

The EQ on PA board is also very flexible. Roll off some highs, pump the mids a little and give yourself some reverb or delay, If you want a little dirt, turn up the gain (or pad) SLIGHTLY (but you may need to adjust the volume down a little if you do in order to avoid feedback). Be careful not to get the mic too close to the monitor, but if you have no choice but to stand near a monitor, hold the mic with the grill pointing straight up in the air when you are not playing and this usually keeps you from feeding back.

Personally, i wouldn't bother with an amp in the situation you describe. Just plug into the PA and rock out.

FWIW,

JP