Re: [Harp-L] The Manji and the Crossover

The interesting thing to me about the newer premium harp models like the Manji and the Crossover is that the character of each of these instruments is much more pronounced.

The Manjis I own are the most precise instruments in my kit. They are ideally suited for playing rapid passages cleanly.  I was amazed to find how quickly I could play my showpiece "Peppermint Life" with a Manji--it was the first thing I tried with my first Manji, and I'm still amazed.

The Crossover and Marine Band Deluxe are loud and brash.  They squawk. One poster obviously heard that and didn't like it, but I do.  Sometimes you just want the instrument to stop being so damn polite, and when you do, the new Hohners are the very thing for it.

Seydel 1847s have their own character as well: tough and smooth.  I like the tuning stability in particular on these.

All these harps require the usual setup stuff, especially gapping, to be most effective, and of course I like to play loud, which isn't recommended.  In general, it's worth investing in one of each of the premium harps, just to see what the character of the instrument is. A piece that doesn't live up to its potential on one might be very cool on another.

And of course, I still carry my Lee Oskars around, because they keep working, and they play as evenly as anything else I've used.  They're not expensive, but they're built like they are.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick