RE: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

Yay David!

Even though the message you have sent could in "theory" be taken as an intellectual slap on the hand, as for me, I totally agree with most of what you have stated. Maybe the thread should become "Just exactly what is (music) 'theory'?"

One of my music theory teachers from long ago (Buzzy Orange, and yes that is his name) would say something like "that is why the term 'key' is a part of what we call music theory vs. music fact". I really miss him and his sense of humor.

Dictionary.com def#2 of "theory":

"a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact."

Oh, but no harp content (oops)

Here in the Mississippi Delta, we would call this discussion "a pissin' contest" and pull out the harp and guitar, pass around a fresh bottle of Thunderbird wine and write a song (there's the harp content).

Buck