Fw: [Harp-L] Feedback

Joel B Chappell wrote: "One last question. Why do harp musicians want amps that
âcolorâ the response of their instrument? I can understand the guitar folks
looking for heavy metal distortion, but as a number of folks have pointed out
blues harps donât usually approach those volumes and get that dirty. I have a
Fender Passport system that is fairly flat and I have played my harps about
6-inches away from a SM57 mounted in its stand and it sounds great, plus I see
Buddy Green on TV and other participants in this forum on YouTube and they donât
have a mic jammed right in front of their harp and they sound great."
Aha! That'll be the highly personal & subjective matter of tone! :-) Some guys
want a colored, heavily distorted sound (maybe all the time, maybe for just a
few numbers where it suits)...cause they've stumbled on it, or heard on
recordings that influenced them...other guys, who still use tube amps, still
just find it a very practical means of getting over, perhaps looking for more
subtle coloration in a little sag from the power supply & a littleÂenrichment of
harmonics. Often 2 guys will get massively differing sounds from the same amp,
just like they might from playing through the same PA, lots of guys who get a
big, distorted "amp" sound will still get that from a PA if they were to play
cupped to a vocal mic.ÂSome MI amps have a strong (sometimes
pleasing/flattering) character -Âdepending on level of drive, Fenders are often
pretty much the middle ground.ÂSometimes when I'm working on an amp I'm really
justÂlistening for it to convey what the player does, with as few
issues/artefacts as possible. And let's not forget the collectabillity aspect,
amps often have a certain aesthetic quality...that biscuity, burnished tweed can
still give you a lot of pleasure, even when unplugged from the wall ;-).
Many guys who play through amps still do numbers uncupped, through a PA mic for
variety...I can't think of many who solely play through an amp.. So, short story
long, some do & some don't want amps that specifically "color" & if they do, it
might not be all the time. It's not really that different to guitar in that
respect, the same guy might be playing heavy rock through a Marshall stack one
minute, acoustic the next...