[Harp-L] competition

Interesting post, Jimmy!

While I don't prefer to play competitively in terms of head-cutting, I think it's clear most musicians compete, at least in measuring ourselves and others, but we are all nonetheless different in so many ways.

Thankfully diverse are our motivations for playing. Thus when you queried, "[A]side from existential philosophy, what's the point of playing in a group unless you play in front of an audience?"  I had to sit up.  It is an alien concept to me, to need an audience - not to say I'm shy, it just ain't my motivation.  The point for me is the personal musical experience!  But you know that, too . . .

Now, I understand many musicians play to "perform" in front of others, it's how our society works in terms of work and reward, recognition, etc.  And there's huge satisfaction in performing music for people who like it,  as we all know.   I gig relatively often and mostly enjoy it, hugely.  I like no less to sit and play by myself or with another.

Some of us got into it to play for ourselves, and with others, for the fun (and therapeutic benefits!) of playin' regardless of audience.  Indeed, some avoid audience. (I remember Al Wilson in '67 or so hiding behind the speaker stacks when soloing, perhaps not the best exampe but interesting nonetheless.)

In fact, some players blossom more, away from an audience.  Thus since the mid '80's we (Elmtree Blues Society) have hosted player-only jams, ranging from a few to a few dozen players, for the very reason of how players play and how improvisational music happens  - without an audience, without expectations of performance, and without rules.      And when Elmtree brings people together to perform in front of others, it's different  (I think still very good!!) but different, than in a players-only jam.

Vive la difference!!  and yes, small jams usually mean less gear-lugging . . . but not always!

-Dave "I ain't shy, I'm just selfish!" Fertig