[Harp-L] Do teachers & players tend to undervalue first position?

"I hate term "position". I prefer to term "key"..."

I play with a bandleader who has a Masters in Music. He plays guitar, but understands diatonic harp and has shown me how to play all sorts of material i would never have attempted on my own. He'll do stuff like write out jazz heads for me in note names so i can learn them, and insists that i fit harp to all sorts of material that he performs. He plays fluently in several different styles of music, is fun to perform with and is an all around good guy. And i've learned a lot from playing with him.

Anyway, he has forbidden me to speak in terms of "positions" when discussing which harmonica i should use for a particular tune. He considers it important that i use proper music terminology instead of harmonica shorthand. He also expects me to speak in terms of note names rather than degrees of the scale, but he's not as strict about that.

Btw, Boris, don't you ever use 5th position (E minor on a C harp)?

JP