[Harp-L] Re VHT Special 6

Robert

You're right, this is a great amp, very much in the spirit of Tweed/Blackface Champ and Gibson GA5, but with no negative feedback loop, so more grind. I bought it as the re-issue Champion 600 I'd bought a year or so ago didn't really deliver the goods and lacks volume.

I think it sounds great out of the box and haven't done much to it, other than to modify the tone control slightly as per the tone capacitor mod listed in Jim Rossen's very useful site:
https://sites.google.com/site/jimdramps/home/vht
which seems to take a bit of the edge off the tone control, giving it more useable range.

Beyond that I have plans to mod it to switchable grid leak bias, upgrade the input resistor to say 5.6M, and add switching in/out of the cathode resistor bypass caps - which I'm planning to swap to 22uf as per Champ/GA5 - but all that is only 'cos I want to give it a try.

Regards
Tom