[Harp-L] VHT Special 6 Combo amp

My students are kind enough to bring by new gear and give them a test drive
during our lesson time. Alan, (lurking on this list) showed me his new VHT
Special 6 Combo tube amp today. He's a strong player, and I hope to get him
on stage at a jam soon.

LIVING ROOM TEST
We plugged in his Hohner Roadhouse (JT-30) bullet mic and loved the
results. Moving from LO to HI input increased volume and bite. Switching
from LO to HI power stepped up the volume and crunch, again. Finally, we
pulled the gain switch in the Volume pot, but didn't stay there
long, because it already had such great tone. Club trials to come later.

COMPARISON
I play a tweed Fender Pro Junior, and side by side, they are brothers of a
different mother. Closely matching size and weight. (The VHT carry handle is
a lot more comfortable than my vintage leather.) It's a good-looking,
well-dressed amp, with all the right controls.

PRICE POINT
Blues harp players shopping for a first amp (or second portable amp) will
adopt this VHT Special 6, priced under $200. And some will begin their life
of endless tinkering because this amp is so easy to modify. ("Honey, have
you seen my soldering iron?") All the specs and a schematic at the link
below. (Standard disclaimer of disassociation applies.)

http://www.vhtamp.com/avsp16.html

POWER
This VHT is 6 watts. The Pro Junior is 15 watts. Remember - twice the watts
is not twice the volume. Only a 6dB increase. Maybe a list member can
summarize the principle more clearly.

I'm anxious to hear the experience of other players, and what mods make it
even better for harp. This amp has a worthy place in the market, and with
harp players. Your taste may vary.

COMING SOON
Another student, Bill, has ordered the TurboSlide diatonic with magnets and
silver reeds.
http://www.turboharp.com/Products.asp?pid=59&tid=&sid=
He's already an effective player on Lee Oskar Melody Makers. I want to hear
what he will do with the TurboSlide.

Robert Hale
dukeofwail.com
Lessons in Phoenix