[Harp-L] Do teachers & players tend to undervalue first position?

For 25 years I focused on 2nd and 3rd position for blues and general accompanyment, my own Major Cross tuning for fiddle tunes. I never gave first position much thought.

Then I wrote the Harmonica Academy teaching site. I had to learn first position. Now I love it. It is a powerful blues position (listen to the opening track on Dennis Gruneling's CD "Up All Night). Really great for fiddle tunes as well. The trick however is mastery of the 3 draw bend (an A note for a C harmonica). This note takes some years to control well enough for tunes, once done, first position opens many possibilities.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays