[Harp-L] walter tore's spontobeat songs 3-3-11 - eating my words

I recently have been fooling around with amplifying my harp (played on a rack) with my real time one man band.  I only have one guitar amp, a princeton reverb, and use it for my guitar in my 1 man band set up.  I record everything live(drums and ride cymbal on my feet) so I was having to run the guitar direct into a solid state preamp that is crystal clean.  Today I decided to run the harp into it and try out an amp simulator that is in my samplitude recording software.  I set the amp to a vintage class A with a 4x 10" speaker cabinet, a shure 57 on the front and a large diaphram condensor on the back.  I figured this thing would sound terrible. A virtual amp, mics, mic placements, are you kidding me??  I am from the days when amps were real..........   Anyway I have to eat my words.  I dig the sound of this thing.  My mic is a $5.00 homemade tie clip mic hooked up to a rubber beer can cooler that is attached to my harp rack.  The
 vocal mic picks up a lot of the muffled acoustic sound of the harp and the tie clip mic picks up the vocals as well.  Going through the amp simulator it gets real muddy and bassy.  I try to mix a middle ground so the vocal and harp both sound pretty good.  So what you are hearing is a mix of amplified and acoustic harp.   Walter

when your shamed of yourself
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10351649