Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Chromonika III

If the instrument is as old as claimed you got a great deal!

The Chromonika III is the same instrument as the Hohner 64 (what Little Walter
played) but with different stamping on the covers. Some claim that the
Chromonika III (marketed only in Germany?) is a better quality instrument, but
I'm skeptical.

Look through the round holes in the mouthpiece. With the slide open, you'll see
one of two different  patterns of internal upper and lower half-holes within
each round hole:

1) all the upper halves are open with the slide out, and all the lower halves
are open with the slide in. This is straight tuning and dates from earlier
times, before approximately 1955.

2) Upper and lower open half-holes alternate from one hole to the next. This is
called cross tuning and started in the latter part of the 1950s and continues to
the present.

If the instrument is straight tuned, it will have a wood comb with reedplates
nailed on. Depending on when it was made, it may also have leather valves
(earlier) instead of plastic ones (later) unless it's been re-valved at some
point.

Another thing to look for is the reedplate thickness. If the reedplates appear
to be about the same thickness as diatonic reedplates, that's normal. However,
if the reedplates are about twice as thick as diatonic reedplates, really fat
thickness, then they are made of aluminum and date from the immediate postwar
period, when brass was too scarce for making reedplates. These instrument are
less well regarded due to leakiness and differ slightly in construction in the
mouthpiece area due to the thickness of the reedplates but often have reeds in
excellent condition.

If you want to spruce the instrument up, the very best thing to do is to send it
to an experienced and knowledgeable chromatic harmonica technician such as Mike
Easton or Steve Malerbi. However, if it's just a musty smell that concerns you,
fresh air is your best ally. Leave the instrument out of the box with the slide
held halfway open with a toothpick in one of the holes, in an area that is in
fresh air but protected from the elements. A few days' exposure may take care of
the problem.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com