[Harp-L] Tremolo in Low D (was Low F)

Both the Hohner Echo (not the Echo Celeste, which is a completely different
model) and the Suzuki Humming tremolo, both in D (i.e., Low D) are fine. Both
put out a powerful sound, though the Echo leaks more. I don't have any
experience with the Seydel models.

In general what you give up with inexpensive Chinese instruments, including the
Hohner branded ones, is power of sound - they just put out less. Build is chancy
and sometimes flimsy, and the reeds, if you try to work on them, are less
robust. The European Hohners and the Suzukis are far better in these regards.

As to tremolo sound, the Suzuki has a dry tremolo, almost unison, for a more
glistening sound, while the faster beating of the Hohner models (at least the
German and Czech-made ones, as opposed to Asian-made models like the Echo
Celeste and Big Valley) have a more "heated" sound. Neither have the
note-to-note consistency of tremolo rate that I'd like, though, and this is an
area where a customizer could really make an instrument sweet.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com