Re: [Harp-L] cruciform needle punch

If you wish to enlarge a hole, it is better to use a drill of the desired hole size than some form of tapered reamer because....
...the hole will have straight and not tapered sides.
...the hole size will depend on the size of the tool and not on how much you use it.

Tapered reamers are better suited to one-time situations where you wish to create a hole for an object that you haven't bothered to measure.  When you install reeds, you know all of the correct sizes.

3/64" is the correct drill size for tapping 0-80 threads.  However, I find that I can tap a rivet hole 0-80 in a .040" thick brass reedplate without enlarging it. The (lubricated) tap acts to enlarge the hole as it cuts the threads.  This works ONLY because the hole is short and the metal is soft. If the tap breaks, there is enough protruding from one side of the plate or the other to remove it.

1/16" is convenient for drilling reed holes oversize.

Micromark has small drill assortments.

Vern