Re: [Harp-L] Re: pedal train

Robert Hale wrote:
<Several have mentioned that multiple FX processors are set up for guitar,
<and I acknowledge that. Aside from screaming treble and metal fuzz, what
<characteristics will change for use with a harp?

The big issue is the gain structure in the amp models.  This is typically jacked way up for guitars; it has to be turned way down to work with harp.  Gain, amp volume, and EQ intereact differently when various types of effects are in the picture, too.

The thing that takes me lots of time in creating my patch sets is getting the hottest possible balance between gain, amp volume, and EQ to produce a sound with lots of volume, plenty of grind, and minimum feedback.  I keep learning in this regard.

FYI, my experience with amp modeling devices is that the typical amp modeler contains at most a couple of sounds that work well with harp out of the box.  I have yet to encounter an amp modeler with a stock patch that works well for amped blues harp.  However, I bought my first amp modeler, a Digitech RP200, on the basis of a single stock patch: a low octave doubler.  When I played through that patch in the store, I knew immediately that I was taking that thing home.

Regards, Richard Hunter

Thanks, Richard Hntere

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter