----- Original Message -----

From: "Vern" <jevern@xxxxxxx> To: "Steve Power" <stevepower@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 6:13 PM Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Rack mic

On Jun 24, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Steve Power wrote:

Jimi Lee has what I believe is a prototype microphone used when playing harp on a neck rack. It sounds fantastic and has a couple of very useful design features. At one time I discovered who had made it and emailed them to see if it was possible to obtain one for myself. I never got a reply and at this moment can't remember who it was that made the thing. Does anyone happen to have any info?

Jimi is a dynamite performer. His guitar chops set him apart from other harmonica players.

The pictures on his website and the video on Youtube all show him using a common, ordinary, backyard-garden-variety, inexpensive wire neck rack. I have seen him perform many times at SPAH and that is what I recall him using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEyAOudfhVY&feature=related

The video shows (not very clearly) a microphone that appears to be a modified Strnad with the gain control moved to the end and the cable moved to the bottom. Although this arrangement is much more convenient with the cable closer and pointed down, I doubt that it would sound any different from a standard Strnad.

Since the Strnad already has holes in the plastic housing for the pot and the cable, swapping them might be relatively easy. You might have to enlarge the cable hole to accept the pot. You might have to improvise a different strain relief for the cable. IF my guess is right, it isn't space science.

Vern