Re: [Harp-L] Re: pedal train

 "Splash!" wrote:
<I'm thinking... get a powered speaker on  a stand and a small powered
<monitor and plug in my electric guit, acoustic guit (XLR from a DI) and plug
<my bullet in the Aux 1/4" input.  It's got all the greatest amp models, and
<speaker cabs, and a slew of effects.  And I can record the session direct to
<the laptop via USB.
<

This is basically what I (and a number of my customers) been doing for years with the Digitech RPs and my patch set.  It's a very versatile setup, and it can get very loud, all with less than 25 pounds of gear.

The issue with the Line 6 HDs, as with ALL amp modelers currently available, is that out of the box they're set up for guitar, not harp.  It takes a lot of work to find the right settings for harp.  That's why my customers pay me to create the sounds for them.

I've been doing some work lately with the Zoom G2NU, whose main advantage over the Digitechs is that it runs for hours on AA batteries.  I've thought about working up some patches for the Line 6 HD, but the fact is that the cheapest HD model sells for about $300, and that's half again as expensive as a Digitech RP355.  I don't think most harp players are willing to throw down that much on a very new (for harp players) approach to amplification.

But I could be wrong.  In any case, I have no doubt that someone who's willing to put in the time could come up with a great set of sounds on the Line 6 HDs.  If you want something right now, my Digitech patch set and an RP355 will do a great job.  Did I mention that the pitch shifter in the Digitechs works a LOT better than the Line 6 versions? If there's anything in my Digitech that I can't live without, it's the pitch shifter--once you've heard a low octave doubler, it's hard to give it up.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick